Friday, January 4, 2013

Homemade Baked Tater Tots

So I have this... thing... for tater tots.  Can't get enough of them.  Not exactly a healthy option, I know... but I just love them. 

For the last two or three days I have been craving tater tots.  And due to the holidays, I have a refrigerator full of leftover mashed potatoes... so why not? 


For this batch, I used some leftover garlic mashed red potatoes (with skins), an egg to bind, cheese (because this is me we are talking about), some plain bread crumbs, and a foil-lined baking tray.  You can use any kind of mashed potatoes for this, including instant, and any flavor of bread crumbs, or you can add spices to them... whatever floats your boat.  I toyed with the idea of adding onions and bacon to this batch, but decided the garlic would be enough.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Mix the egg, cheese and potatoes together until well combined.






Pour the bread crumbs into a shallow dish and use your hands to form the potato mixture into tater tot looking shapes.  Roll the tater tot in the bread crumbs until well coated, and place on the baking tray.

 Bake the tater tots for 40-45 minutes, until desired crispiness.  Then enjoy!  I dipped mine in a horseradish dipping sauce, but ranch or ketchup would also be great!





If you don't have the patience for the tots, but still want a quick and yummy treat made out of your leftover mashed potatoes... I recommend a potato pancake!  Same ingredients you would use in the tater tots, but you don't need the bread crumbs (unless you want them!).  Mix it all together, form it into a patty, and pan fry it in a little butter... about 4 minutes or so on each side!


Yum!  Now that is a great way to start the weekend.

1 comment: