Thursday, March 21, 2013

No-Name Turkey Yumminess

You know how some days just start out following Murphy's Law (what can go wrong will), and then sort of morph over to Newton's First Law of Motion (an object in motion stays in motion), and then just throw all sort of sense and order out the window and whirl you down a path that leads inevitably towards cheesecake? Yeah... today is one of those days.

There has been a bright spot in this day so far, though: my southwestern omelet that I just polished off. I raided the refrigerator this morning for something to eat, trying to avoid the standard one egg over easy on toast, or the reliable fallback frozen breakfast burrito (sad but true), and what did I discover? Leftovers. That's right. Leftover onion braised in tomato juice, leftover avocado, leftover cilantro, and leftover shredded pepper jack cheese. Oh yeah... one southwestern omelet to start my day!

So now that we have that out of the way, I would like to share another recipe with you. I made this one for dinner last night, and although I have NO IDEA what to call it, it is tasty. Ground turkey, curry powder, red onion, garlic powder, peas, tomato sauce and lite coconut milk combine to make a really yummy something. I wanted to call it chili, but Mike told me it cannot be chili because it has no beans (okay... that sort of makes sense), but my friend Chris says it can't be chili because it has no chili powder, and I am forced to bow down to that irrefutable logic. So... here is some really healthy turkey yumminess that has no name.

NO-NAME TURKEY YUMMINESS

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs ground turkey
Olive Oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 lb green peas
1 1/2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 can (28 oz) Tomato Sauce
1 can Lite Coconut Milk


Heat a splash of olive oil in a medium stock pot (I used my dutch oven because I LOVE my dutch oven) and brown the turkey. While the turkey is browning, chop the red onion.


When the turkey is browned, mix in the red onion, peas, curry powder, garlic powder, tomato sauce and lite coconut milk. The lite coconut will often separate in the can, so shake well before opening, and I like to stir it back together before incorporating it into the mixture. Stir well and then let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until you are ready to eat.

Mike and I liked the flavor of this as-is, but if you are looking for some additional heat you could easily add some sriracha sauce (or "rooster sauce", as it is known in my house).

I hope you enjoy, and if you come up with a name for this one, please let me know!

1 comment: