Sunday, August 3, 2014

My last day in Oaxaca

So here I am, sitting in the Los Angeles Airport... camped out right next to the Delta check-in. Which is closed. As was the connecting baggage section of customs. So I have my luggage with me. And I found a plug-in, but it doesn't work. And I can't actually enter the airport until 4:00, and they won't take my luggage until 4:00. So I here I sit. So I figured I would put together a blog post until my battery dies. :)

So I had lots of time to wander around Oaxaca before I had to leave for the airport. I found the Saturday market, some great architecture, and spent some time in my favorite park, on a shady bench.



One of my favorite things about Oaxaca is the colors. The buildings are all brightly colored. And the doors are amazing. They have huge wooden doors with smaller doors inside them. Or they have standard sized doors, but they are intricately carved. Or they have doors with some beautiful iron work on them... they just don't have plain doors anywhere! So I took some pictures of buildings with doors.


I took a picture of the display in the bakery... I can't eat it, but man it looked good!



The Saturday market was housed in the plaza outside of one of the cathedrals. I will admit I lost track of which one, but it is an incredible building with beautiful architecture and details.  The market has food vendors, people selling handmade wooden toys, clothing, music... everything! There was even a perfume stand.


They had barrel vaulting in the ceiling, and medallions...







This was some graffiti that was definitely worth photographing.


And an artsy cross outside of a school...


 The flowers are beautiful. I got lots of pictures of flowers. :)



And this is the amphitheater at the top of the hill, where the cultural dance celebration was going on all week.

 It's actually a pretty cool structure!


And I had to include the lamppost because I like it.











This is the Cathedral de Santo Domingo. It is the same place I visited on the first day, and I walked by it every day of my stay here. A large part of the cultural celebration was happening here.



They have a botanical garden in the square. Not exactly sure what these plants are, but they are some sort of succulent, and they are really cool!


 Then I spent some time in the park...






More crazy succulents...










And that about sums it up.

Three more hours until I can go in search of some coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment