Saturday, August 17, 2013

Red Hot Chicken Soup = Good. Cod Liver Oil = Bad

Another life's lesson to be written down, passed along to everyone I care about, and never forgotten, because trust me when I tell you that this history should never be repeated: Don't, and I repeat DON'T try Cod Liver Oil. Even if your Naturopath tells you it is very important for the Omega 3s in your Anti-Inflammatory Diet. It's not worth it. Unless of course you love anchovies and want to taste them in everything you eat, smell them in everything you sniff, and be pretty sure that as you sweat, you are excreting the odor of anchovies all over your local gym. Just don't do it.

Okay, now that I have finished with that rant, I can happily say that Red Hot Chicken Soup is good. That was the recipe experiment for dinner tonight, and I am pleased with how it turned out. Of course, it would be better with cheese, because what isn't? And I will probably add bacon to it next time I make it, because everything is better with bacon, too, but this was pretty good for a first pass. I took a couple of different recipes that I found on some Celiac-friendly sites and some Paleo cooking sites and this is the result.

So you start with 8 cups of water and some chicken breast.


And then you add in a whole head of cauliflower, chopped into florets.


Bring the water, cauliflower and chicken to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until the chicken breasts are cooked through. In the meantime, chop your onion.


Then chop your celery.


When the chicken is cooked through, remove from water and set aside. When it is cool, you will shred it.


While waiting for the chicken to cool, add in the Frank's Red Hot, some coconut milk, honey, and your spices. Then whip out your trusty immersion blender (I STILL love my immersion blender!) and go to town. Make sure there are no big chunks of cauliflower left.


Then shred your chicken. Some people use a food processor for this, but I have found that it is really easy to do just by using two forks. 


Add the shredded chicken to the pot with your onion and celery.


It will simmer for another twenty minutes, and it is quite tasty when it's all said and done! I know you might think it will be quite spicy with the amount of Frank's Red Hot that goes into it, but to me, the heat was pretty good. If I could have added sour cream or cheese, I would have gone hotter. Sigh. Maybe some day in the future. In the meantime, pretty good as is.


Red Hot Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

8 cups Water
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Head Cauliflower, chopped
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Chicken Broth
1 Cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
3 Stalks Celery, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
Dash Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk

In a large stockpot or soup pot, put the water, chicken and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add Honey, Broth, Frank's Red Hot, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, blend until as smooth as you can get it.

Shred the chicken and add to the soup, along with the onions and celery. Let simmer for 20 minutes, then ladle up and enjoy!

Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories:  261
Fat: 4.9g
Carbohydrates: 15.6g
Protein: 38.4g

No comments:

Post a Comment