Saturday, January 24, 2015

Black Bean Chili with Mushrooms

We had our annual craft night party this week, and I made some vegetarian Black Bean and Mushroom Chili to share. The ladies liked it and asked for the recipe, so here it is. :) First things first, if you are using dried black beans, soak them overnight. Just do it. It's longer than the boiling method, but it leaves you with a better consistency bean.


So I soaked my beans overnight. Then the next morning, I started with some basic spices: mustard seed, chili powder, cumin and cardamom. I added a little olive oil and toasted the spices.


Then I mixed in mushrooms and onions and some water and let it sweat a bit. :)


I drained my black beans and put them in the crockpot. I added tomatillos, tomato paste, vegetable stock, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to my onion and mushroom mixture. I mixed it all together, and then poured it over the black beans.


I cooked it on high for about 8 hours. I wanted the beans to have more of a creamy texture.


Sorry for the steam in the pic, but it was hot. :)


We served it in these super-adorable and 'easy to clean up' paper bowls. Mostly because I don't actually have enough dishes to feed everyone. :) But the bowls work great. My mom made cornbread to go with the chili. The corn bread she makes is off the corn meal box, and she substitutes honey or organic cane sugar, almond milk, and almond flour to make it allergy friendly for me.


Black Bean Chili with Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1 lb dried Black Beans
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Ground Mustard
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cardamom
2 Onions, medium, chopped
1 lb Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 Cup Water
~8 oz Tomatillos, husked and chopped
~5 Cups Vegetable Stock
6 oz can Tomato Paste
2-3 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, minced. (Find the sugar-free version... it's worth it. Much smokier taste)

Directions:

Soak the black beans overnight. In the morning, put the spices and oil in a 5-6 quart dutch oven or heavy stock pot. Toast the spices for a couple of minutes. Add the onions, mushrooms and water and let it sweat for a few minutes, maybe 5-7 minutes. Then add the tomatillos, vegetable stock, tomato paste and peppers. Stir and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.

Drain the black beans and put them in the bottom of the crockpot. Pour the onion and mushroom mixture over the top. Cover and turn on high for 8 hours.

Dish up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment