Saturday, October 12, 2013

Super-Tasty White Chicken Chili

I made this recipe the other night, and it was so good that I really need to share! I mean, we all need a tasty, healthy, easy dinner that we can pull together in under twenty minutes, right? I will confess, however, that this recipe was poached from one of my favorite blogs (Gimme Some Oven). Normally I take recipes and tweak them based on my dietary needs, food preferences, availability of local ingredients, or because they just really need a little more oomph. But not this one. I only made one teensy-weensy, itsy-bitsy change. I added a little dried cilantro, but that's because I didn't have any fresh cilantro on hand. I know a recipe is good when Mike will actually eat leftovers. :)

 So this recipe starts with some shredded chicken. I generally poach my chicken breasts and use two forks to shred them. The poaching method keeps the chicken really moist. You can, however, easily use a pre-roasted chicken from your local grocery store and just shred that meat. Or you can be one of those really organized people who spend their spare time prepping food and already have four cups of shredded chicken in the refrigerator or freezer. Regardless, you are going to need to come up with four cups of shredded chicken.

 Some cumin (and in my case, cilantro)...

 Some white beans mixed in with the chicken and spices...

And two cups of Salsa Verda. The Gimme Some Oven recipe also offers up a homemade Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe that you can find here, but I was lucky enough to find an excellent Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa at Costco (love that place!) that had a list of ingredients all approved on my Anti-Inflammatory Diet. I think the brand name was Roja's... but it was delicious!

Add in 6 cups of chicken broth (I used organic because it fits my diet plan).

 And twenty minutes later (or less!) you are eating some fantastic White Chicken Chili. I put avocado in mine (because that's how I roll). Mike put cheese and Sriracha sauce (Rooster Sauce!) in his, because that's how he rolls.

The recipe as I made it is posted below, but I highly recommend you check out the original too, if for nothing more than her seriously amazing photography! Trust me on this, her pictures are way more yummy than mine!

White Chicken Chili

(Her recipes says 2-4 servings, but Mike and I got six full bowls out of this recipe, so I would say 6 servings)

Ingredients:

6 Cups Chicken Broth, organic, low sodium
4 Cups Shredded Chicken
2 15 oz cans of Great Northern or White Beans, drained and rinsed
2 Cups Tomatillo/Avocado Salsa Verde
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp dried Cilantro (if fresh is not available). If fresh is available, use lots of that instead!

Stir all ingredients together in a large saucepan (or a dutch oven, if you are like me). Heat over medium-high until boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for at least 5 minutes. I simmered for about 15 minutes, and it was delicious!

You can top this with almost anything you want: avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips/strips... even a corn-based salsa would be really good on it (although not in my diet yet).

I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment