Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Shaky Start to Today...

Good morning, Oaxaca! We had an interesting start to today: a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Veracruz made it to us this morning, at 5:46 AM. So much for setting the alarm for 6:00. I guess now I know why I see so many of these:

Yup, those are my stylishly clad feet in that photo. I have discovered that these are the best shoes I have brought with me. Not only do I not have to worry about losing them in one of the sneaky sidewalk holes (seriously... these are ALL OVER), they protect my feet from the nasty mosquitoes. The mosquitoes are so insane here (it is currently the rainy season in Oaxaca) that I have actually already mastered the Spanish word for mosquito. Are you ready? Here it is: "Mosquito". Yup. I am a rockstar.

So I did manage to get some more pictures last night while I was out scavenging food. I found a fantastic little place a little over half a mile from my hotel, that was down a really quaint street. One side of the street was lined with shops and houses with the prettiest windows and geraniums. I apologize for the quality of the photos... it was dark and my phone I was using for the pictures is old as dirt.



I also love the colors of the buildings.

On the other side of the street was a thick wall (maybe 3-4 feet thick) built out of the green stone that is all over down here. The wall had archways all along it.



Some held doorways to homes.


Some were archways to alleys and other roads.


And some held courtyards. For part of the road, there appeared to be a very large house behind the wall, with a cactus garden growing on top, but it was hard to tell because it was a little dark and the wall is a lot taller than me. :)


But in the end, this quaint little cobblestoned road led me to this: Los Tres Conchitos (Carnitas), y uno copa de vino tinto. La comida era muy buena!

It will be interesting to see what the rest of today holds... Hope you all have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment