Friday, May 16, 2014

French Cake Trio Apron - Happy Birthday, Penny!

In between all the blocks for the Spring Sampler, I have been working on a serious hush-hush, big secret project. My good friend Penny (who has made several cameo appearances on this blog including the post from the Lighthouse crafting retreat and the trip to Stephanie Inn) is having a birthday! I know, shocker... right? It's not like we can get away from them. They follow us everywhere we try and hide and pop up on the same day, every year. But I digress... So Penny is having a birthday.

Penny is our Baker of Cakes for all birthdays. Anytime anyone on the Club Green Meadows Women's Drinking Team (we are undefeated!) or the tennis group has a birthday, Penny bakes the most delicious cakes. Even now that I can't eat regular cake (because of the gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free diet I eat due to food allergies), Penny made me a gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free cake for my birthday. It had 8 eggs in it. And it was AWESOME.

So for Penny's birthday, of course she bakes the cake. I know some of you might think that is odd, but really... no one bakes cakes like Penny does. Might as well stick with the best! But I still wanted to make her something like cake for her birthday. Something special. I considered and discarded a lot of options before I came across the perfect solution in the March 2014 issue of Cross-Stitch and Needlework magazine: the French Cake Trio Apron.


Yes, that is me showing off the finished apron. And yes... I am missing the top half of my head. Don't worry, I wasn't using it anyway. And isn't it fortuitous that the missing part of my head is the part with the grey hair on it? Hah!

So the apron is sewn in a soft beige pattern with a light metallic, and has blue trim on the ties and waist. The cross-stitch cakes are set into the bodice:


And I hid a couple of champagne splits in the gift bag, too... because I don't know about you guys, but I like a little wine when I cook!

 And here is the birthday girl herself, modeling her new apron!



Have a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Penny. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment